It's beginning to heat up outside and it seems that summer is finally here! We're backing the national heatwave campaign to help everyone stay sun-safe.
Here’s our top hot weather tips:
- Try to keep out of the sun between 11am and 3pm, and seek shade during those times
- Wear UV sunglasses, preferably wraparound, to reduce UV exposure to the eyes, walk in the shade, and apply sunscreen of a minimum of SPF15 with UVA protection, and higher for young children
- Make sure you wear a hat and light, loose-fitting cotton clothes to keep you cool
- Have lots of cool drinks, and avoid excess alcohol, caffeine or drinks high in sugar. Remember to carry a bottle of water with you if travelling
- Look out for others, especially vulnerable groups such as the older people, young children and babies, and those with serious illnesses
- Never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle, especially infants, young children or animals.
- Keep your environment cool: this is especially important for infants, older people or those with long-term health conditions or anyone who cannot look after themselves
- Shade or cover windows exposed to direct sunlight and keep windows that are exposed to the sun, closed during the day.