Falls Prevention online advice and guidance is available for you and your family.
Are you, or do you know someone who is worried about falling? Have you or a family member had a fall that has knocked your confidence? Has this fall prevented you or someone you care for from doing the things you, or they enjoy?
Due to Covid-19, local NHS partners, Guildford and Waverley Borough Councils and Surrey County Council Adult Social Care have produced a series of Let’s Get Steady film clips which aim to raise awareness of falls prevention, support with wellbeing and empower people to make positive changes to their lifestyle, to enable them to live independent lives.
The advice and information contained in these film clips will empower anyone who has or is at risk of falling to make changes to their environment and wellbeing that could enable them to live a more independent life.
Before the pandemic Let’s Get Steady sessions were held across the Guildford and Waverley locality offering practical advice and guidance face-to-face. These sessions helped to reduce the risks of falls and support residents to remain safe and well at home. Through the launch of the films, health and care professionals have come together to make support and advice accessible in people’s homes.
The Let’s Get Steady initiative has been operating in Guildford and Waverley since 2017 and over this time has received many positive comments from those who have used it:
- Mr H, 83 years, Cranleigh said ‘Thank you – as a result of Let’s get Steady, the safety bars in our shower are due to be fitted today and we are having a survey for handrails up the stairs’
- Mrs C 74 years , Godalming said ‘I am managing very well since the session and I am no longer worried about going to the shops and walking around the neighbourhood’
- Mrs B, 72 years, Guildford said ‘I am generally more aware of trip hazards’
Each film will provide useful advice on how to stay safe and well and included information on the following:
- What to do if you have a fall
- Careline Community Alarm
- The Home Environment
- The Fire Service, Safe and Well Visits
- The Balance Triangle (how our sense work together to keep us safe)
- Medication, Healthy Bones and Nutrition
- Social Prescribing (a service that supports with well-being as a whole)
- The Importance of Exercise
For more information visit the Independence and Wellbeing Information for Guildford and Waverley residents page or contact the Guildford and Waverley Independence and Prevention Team.